We have a proud history advocating for students and educators in Oakland. We trace our roots to the Teachers Pension Club of Alameda County (founded 1891) which became the Oakland Teachers Association in 1915 and then renamed the Oakland Education Association in 1964.
1977 Following a nine day strike, teachers negotiate a class-size reduction in our first collective bargaining agreement
1982 Teacher substitutes join the Oakland Education Association
1986 Early Childhood Educations join the Oakland Education Association
Today, we continue to build on the successes of past parents and educators to realize our vision of putting students at the center of everything we do.